Pevek is a city in the Far East of Russia, the administrate center of Chaun district of Chukotka autonomous region. This territory started in the 1930s. According to the resolution of the Soviet government by December 10, 1930, the Chukotka national district was created.
In 1933, the settlement Pevek was created at the eastern shore of Chaunskaya Bay of the East Siberian which was turned into the main harbor for the region. In 1937, the largest tin grounds of the USSR, Krasnoarmeiskiy Rudnik, were found 85 kilometers east of Pevek.
In the second half of the 1940s Dal’stroy began settling Chukotka, where afterward 3 Labour camps were founded. These three camps (Chaunsky camp, Chukotsky camp and Chaun-Chukotsky camp) formed the system of Sevvostlag.
The administrations of two Chukotka camps, Chaunsky camp, and Chaun-Chukotsky camp were located at Pevek. The prisoners of the Chaunsky camp mined uranium 60 km east from the city, while the prisoners of the Chaun-Chukotsky camp, besides the mining work were engaged in building Pevek (schools, boarding schools, auto stations, and a power station).
Due to the secrecy of the GULAG, Pevek appeared on maps of this region only after the dissolution of the Chukotka camp system in the 1950s.
In 1967, Pevek was granted the status of a city. The thermoelectric power station in Pevek, built by the prisoners, has remained an important and dominant symbol of the city.
This video was filmed during an expedition by the GULAG History Museum to Chukotka in August 2015, under the direction of the head of Museum Roman Romanov. The expedition started in Pevek and took place at the uranium camps of Chaunlag “Vostochniy” and “Severniy”. During the expedition, numerous exhibits were collected. The expedition also took cartographical air photos of the camp and 3D panoramas of the remaining buildings and surroundings.